The family and friends of the actor Philip Seymour Hoffman expressed shock and sadness after he was found dead on Sunday of an apparent drug overdose at an apartment in Greenwich Village.
Mr. Hoffman’s body was discovered by a friend around 11:30 a.m. in the fourth-floor apartment at 35 Bethune Street, which he rented as an office. The friend, David Bar Katz, had grown worried when he was unable to contact Mr. Hoffman, the police said. Investigators found a syringe in his left forearm, at least two plastic envelopes with what appeared to be heroin nearby, and five empty plastic envelopes in a trash bin, a law enforcement official said.
Mr. Hoffman was long known to struggle with drug addiction. Last year, he checked into a rehabilitation program for about 10 days after his dependence on prescription pills resulted in his briefly returning to heroin.
In a statement, Mr. Hoffman’s family said: “We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone. This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving.”